For those of you who do not know me personally, follow my Twitter or Facebook, or have not simply assumed, you should know that I am a very passionate person about politics. I have tried to keep that aspect of my personality out of my blogging because its inclusion would become very obnoxious very quickly. However, it's election night, so buckle up for some mostly liberal political shenanigans. (I say mostly because I am kind of more of an independent than a die-hard left winger)
I worked a six hour closing shift tonight, so I missed the whole suspenseful vote-counting part of this election. I got home right as Romney decided to concede, so I watched his and Obama's respective speeches. Here are my post-election thoughts:
-Yay! I get to keep getting free birth control injections and can still have abortions if I need one! Also, it is still a possibility that some day my best friend will be able to marry the man of his choice!
-Romney's concession speech struck me as sort of last minute. Was it just me? I just got the impression that he didn't expect to lose and hadn't sufficiently prepared for that possibility.
-I am honestly shocked that Obama won, but that is probably because I always tend to expect the worst. Also because I live in the republican/conservative part of Colorado, not the progressive/liberal part.
-I have the sudden urge to go TP the 3x5 foot Romney campaign sign that has been staring me in the face from my neighbor's yard for the past three weeks...
-Obama's speech was very nice. I liked the passion and I think I agree with core message that it's Americans who have to make shit happen, not just our leaders. However, after not seeing tremendous progress in certain areas over the past four years, I am left wondering about how much progress will be made during the next four.
-I really hope no one gets over excited and kills the president.
-I loved that they used that Springsteen song as Obama's victory/exit music. It was so fitting, like, the perfect combo of American classic rock and stirring messages.
-Ok, cool, now will the po-ads get the fuck off of YouTube?
Also, my state just legalized marijuana. I'm pretty excited about that too, despite that fact that I really am not a stoner. I mean, if someone else is packing, I'll partake, but it's not a huge nor imperative part of my life. If I'm going to do drugs, I prefer the hard ones, but that's beside the point. I'm more exited about the fact that my friends will be at a significantly lower risk of getting arrested every day.
I am just now realizing that I'll be spending most of my day tomorrow on the CU campus, which is going to be a stoner double whammy, because Boulder itself is super left wing-hippy, and CU is notorious for being a party school and stoner haven. I just hope there isn't so much smoke in the air that my throat hurts; I'll be on campus for a classical choir festival and stuff.
I think I'll take this dual victory and quit while I'm ahead. It's been a long night, but I think there's hope for the future, which is a good way to feel.
Night night kiddos.
Julia
I wish I'd been able to see their speeches. I was pretty sure Obama would win, despite also living in a super conservative area. I was bummed about how my local elections turned out, particularly the various bonds and proposals, but I'm happier than I am sad because of Obama's victory.
ReplyDeleteI had no idea CU had a reputation as a stoner campus. I was talking to a U of M student recently who hailed from Denver, and she made it sound like Colorado's version of U of M (home of the Hash Bash!).
...i've got election hangover...and a few other hangovers...
ReplyDeleteI too share your enthusiasm about politics, but as of late, I haven't been in the mood to do my usual pre-election blog posts.
ReplyDeleteHooray for Obama winning!
Even though I live in Canada, I still feel effected by the election. I was worried for a while that Romney would win and that would probably just reflect badly on Canada. So Go Obama!
ReplyDeleteAH! I'm so thrilled. It's so lovely to have so much hope for the future, especially regarding so many things that I'm passionate about (weed may or may not be one of them...)
ReplyDelete